Saturday, September 5, 2009

Tot School Time!

It's been another fun week of Tot School. Mike is officially back to work, so Maddie and I have been settling into a new routine and so far, it's going really well. We started doing our Bible activities right after breakfast and doing Tot School in the early afternoon. It was a busy week and we also had fun at several play dates with good friends!
I hung this poster in her preschool area (since she just has no interest in this game I made for her) and placed a "magic pointer" next to it. Sure enough, she went straight for it and started reciting the ABCs.
I always love to see what she gravitates towards doing first. This is a color matching activity that we've had for months, but when I switched out to different tongs and changed the items to sort, she was immediately interested.
So, I've been collecting caps for quite a while now and we've built up a decent selection. Originally, I was going to make a game, but then I realized how much she loves just building with them. She makes castles, towers and birthday cakes. :) Cheap toy!
She also loved emptying out her piggy bank and then putting the money back in. She's kind of learning the difference between the coins, though penny is her favorite (she says it's a "pretty color!").
She has been wanting to cut so badly but just doesn't have the hand strength yet. I don't want to turn her away from it, so we've been practicing almost everyday.
After doing our Open-Ended Art with the glass rocks, she's been super interested in them. Thanks to the dollar store, I have quite the collection of colors, shapes and sizes. We used an ice cub tray to sort and match rocks.
Oh. My. Goodness. We have just recently discovered Starfall and what an amazing site it is!! Maddie absolutely loves it and can never seem to get enough. It is awesome.
Clearly, she was enjoying herself! She and Daddy sat for quite a while, picking new letters and "reading" them together. We realized that she's a little young to use the mouse, but I have a feeling that will come soon enough.
Thanks for sharing our week with us! Check out Carissa's blog to see what other tots accomplished this week!

16 comments:

The Activity Mom said...

We just started using Starfall too and love it! I'm off to start my bottle cap collection. =) B would LOVE that!

Chantel said...

We're all about Starfall around here. Even my 13 month old jumps up and down excitedly when I turn the computer on - she loves it already!
The magic pointer idea is too cute!!

Amy said...

I am going to have to check out Starfall since several people have mentioned it now. I love the Bible activities you have started doing with her!

Madonna said...

I am going to have to start visiting the dollar stores. You have found some great stuff at yours!

Kellie said...

it is so funny how kids love the pennies!

It will amaze you how fast she will catch on to using the computer! We keep saying that Seth knows more about the computer now than we do...

Kylie said...

Yes it defintely won't take long with the computer. Having a child sized mouse can help also.

Elizabeth Lyng said...

I like the idea of emptying the piggy bank - we'll have to try that. Oh, and I love Starfall too!

{lauren} said...

Thanks for visiting! Your daughter is precious:) I'll have to check out Starfall too...Noah loves the Fisher Price website's activities, but gets bored easily with them. I love the Bible activities you're doing too...I'm excited for when Noah will be able to understand those things so I can begin too!

Michelle said...

Starfall looks so cool...I also love the magic pointer. We used to use that with our first graders and I totally forgot about it.

Angel The Alien said...

I love the stuff you did! I am collecting milk caps too but I was going to make an alphabet game with them. Now that you mention it, Pufferfish probably would just love building with them!
We also go to Starfall! We go to our letter of the week first, and then I let her do whatever she wants after that. Pufferfish wants to use the mouse but needs tons of help... she just clicks around everywhere!

Susana said...

I love your tot tray set up and what you did with the rocks after art.

Thanks for the reminder about collecting the caps. I keep forgetting!

Mama Jenn said...

My kids love building with bottle top caps too!!!

Jennifer said...

Oh what similarities our daughters have. Mine LOVES starfall, building with caps and filling her piggy bank over and over! Looks like a fun week.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

You have such a nice setup at home. I loved your bottle cap activity - it's really very neat. I credit Starfall with Anna's literacy success - we were doing it since she was about 8 months old :)

Amanda said...

I'm going to have to try starfall now. i think everyone loves it! Thanks for sharing the bible activities as well. I loved the new websites you shared.

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

I love how you have things set up for her so she can pick what she wants to do; I really need to work on doing this with M. And the glass rocks look so pretty in the ice tray! I always love reading your blog - thank you for sharing!