I'm going to be honest and say that it's been a hard week for Tot School. Maddie has been uncharacteristically grumpy and I know that I, too, have been crabby. Just as I've sat to write this post, she and I have jumped up to go to the potty six times. Yes, six times. And, it's not in vain. She really has to go. I'm tired and she's tired, but I keep coming right back on here to share our pics!
I thought this picture summed up our week quite well. She just was off (but, it's still fun to play with the cash register!).
We made a snake for the letter s.
And we made a rainbow man (remember how everything in this house must have googly eyes) for the letter r.
And, here's our finished product!
Ugh. Public Service Announcement: Do not buy these crayons. Cute? Yes, very. Well made? No, terribly. These were one of her prizes for using the potty so well, and she was so excited for them. They, almost instantly, broke and she was so disappointed (so, in an attempt to help, I tried using super glue but that only led to me completely gluing my thumb and index finger together).
We tried stringing pasta, since she always sees the colorful yarn, but it was just too hard. I realized that it takes a lot of dexterity to get those noodles strung, so we put it away and will try again later.
We also revisited our very favorite book, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. After reading it several times, we used the felt pieces to retell the story.
And, here are the felt pieces made by yours truly. I dedicated a mere two hours of my life to these tiny creations. Ha! Fortunately, she loves them and it's so good for vocabulary and language. We've also started working on sequencing, as in what he ate first and next and so on.
Oh, this was her very favorite activity this week! Inspired by My Two Happy Homeschoolers and a sensory activity she'd created for her daughter, I filled a bowl with popcorn kernels. Then, I hid about ten of her alphabet bead letters inside. She had to dig through the bowl and then drop them in the correct letter square. She did this over and over again (though I noticed that she really didn't like searching for the letter square; she'd put them in a blank box, look at me and say, "That's okay Mommy. We'll leave it there.").
There was lots of letter stamping with these cool interlocking stamp blocks. My friend got them for me and they're awesome. When she gets older, we can connect them to spell words. Thanks again Jen!
We also read Red Riding Hood this week. She loved it, though to be honest, I was a little shocked at the...well, violence of it all! I'm not one of those that really censors stuff from Maddie but geesh, a wolf eating children, hunters cutting open said wolf's stomach... A little rough, yeah?
I'd bought these magnet pieces that tell the story of Red Riding Hood months and months ago in the Lakeshore outlet (I think they were 99 cents!). I brought them out and showed Maddie and she's had THE best time retelling the story in her own words. Today, she told it to Mike and it went like this:
"Once there was little girl. And wolf. She married the wolf. Congratulations!" Ha.
This was an activity inspired by Tired, Need Sleep (This is the link for it; It's such a fabulous blog!). I bought this alphabet poster at the dollar store and made cards with the lower case letters on them (consonants in red, vowels written in blue). We work so much with capitals, and she's got those down, so I thought we'd explore the lower case ones. She was excited when I showed her, but then did two and told me it was time to "clean up, clean up everybody." We'll try it again next week. :)
And finally, we worked on a special gift for Daddy. He has to go back to work in about a week and we're all super sad about that. So, we've been busy making him some special treats that will either be given to him on his first day back at school or before (since I can never bear to wait on giving gifts!). We'll show you all the finished products when they're ready.
To see what other tots have been up to this week, hop on over to Carissa's blog!
14 comments:
her version of little red riding hood is SO much better- esp ending with the Congratulations! so cute!!! does your husband go to work far away? my hubby had to travel with his last job- like 2 or 3 weeks a month- and that was really difficult.
Hey Keri! My husband is actually a fifth grade teacher and he's been home ALL summer. Maddie has become totally spoiled by the fact that he's with her ALL DAY LONG (and I'm spoiled now by it, too!). I can't even imagine traveling! Not only the emotions behind it, but it's exhausting doing all the work by yourself. Big hugs to you for managing and balancing everything.
And yeah, I kinda liked Maddie's interpretation of the Red Riding Hood, too!! She is OBSESSED with weddings and marriage and such so I guess a wolf and a girl getting married is fair game to her. Ha!
Wow, what a week! I like the rainbow R and I really want to try that letters in the popcorn activity. I am often surprised by classic tales - we recently read Hansel and Gretel and I thought it was very scary.
My daughter is obsessed with weddings too.
Looks like you guys had a fun week of learning! I love your felt pieces for Very Hungry Caterpillar! The alphabet stamps inspired me to find some of my own and let B use them (I need to stop worrying about the mess! ha ha)
I LOVE the Very Hungry Caterpillar pieces! They look great!!!
Thanks for the info on the crayons. Dollar Store crayons are terrible too, lol. At least the ones i bought. But they are from he dollar store, so duh! And i love her take on Little Red Riding Hood ;)
It looks like you had a great week. I want to try hiding the letters in popcorn. Good job on the Very Hungry Caterpillar pieces! They were very cute.
What a great week despite the crankiness. It looks like you had a lot done. I totally agree with you on Little Red Riding Hood - it's pretty violent, definitely not one of my favorites. However, a lot of fairy tales are in fact quite violent, we just tend to forget about originals watching cute Disney adaptations of them. Just try to read an original Cinderella - ewww! Maddie's retale of LRRH made me LOL - her language must be pretty good for her age.
Great job on the Hungry Caterpillar story pieces!! I love them! Also the letters R and S are fab!! :)
Such a great week! It's funny I mentioned in my tot school post that M was cranky all week too - must be something going on with these little guys! The post for the poster/letter match game is here: http://tiredneedsleep.blogspot.com/2009/08/tot-school_16.html
Thanks for mentioning it!
I think there was something in the water. Michaela was a little out of sorts as well!
Do you have a felt board for the food pieces? I've thought about doing felt activities but I'm not really sure where to start.
Thanks Nicole for the link. I've added it!
And, I'm glad to hear that other little ones are a little... edgy lately. Today was an especially trying day. We should get them all together and let them talk it out! Ha!
I'm so impressed by your felt pieces! Those are so cute! I'm going to have to try hiding letters for my LO to dig through. I haven't used our rice tub in a while. my little boy is usually so calm, but he's sick now and won't stop whining.
HI! I love your activities with the Hungry Caterpillar. We have just been working on the story with the kids at preschool. Check out what we did if you have a minute on
http://theguilletots.blogspot.com/2011/06/mini-beasts-in-our-garden.html
Also check : http://theguilletots.blogspot.com/2011/06/hungry-little-caterpillars.html
Post a Comment