Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Creation, Days 1 and 2

Well, we've started our morning Bible lessons, and I thought I'd post about the first two days since these posts are going to accumulate quickly at this rate. We're both really liking (well, she's smiley, so I assume she's liking it!) our new routine!
When she gets up in the morning (which has been between 8:30 and 9 lately! Boo for no naps but yay for early bedtime and later wake-ups!), I make breakfast and we eat together at her table. As she eats, I read her bits from her toddler Bible. We currently read from this one but I'd also like one with a little more to it.
So yesterday, we read about God creating night and day. She was very fascinated by this and would periodically tell me, "I not like night. I tell God." Ha.
I downloaded this from here and she loved it. I gave her a bowl of Kix and Cocoa Puffs and she sorted by day (the Kix) and night (the Puffs).
After getting to this point, she started sneaking the cereal and decided that eating it was much more fun.
Our last creation activity of the morning (by the way, she's in her pajamas, which is an old shirt of Megan's and she loves it) involved Oreos. We took the Oreo and split it, talking about how God made the world and divided it into night and day.
After twisting it, and putting it back together several times, she ate it.
On day two, we talked about God creating the sky and water. I downloaded these coloring pages from here. They're great. There's one for every day of creation and when we're finished with it, I'm going to have them bound into a book.
Agh, agh, agh is all I can say for this. Since God created the water, I planned on doing a Do-a-Dot page about rain. Well, the blue stamper exploded. Completely and entirely and utterly exploded. I thought something might be wrong with it (you can see on the cloud where it didn't stamp but leaked), but didn't have the brains to take it away from her. And no, she wasn't being rough with it; I was sitting right there (in other words, we were both showered with a spray of blue paint).
Instead, I got to clean blue paint off everything. Everything. The table, chairs, pajama shirt, legs, face, wall, curtains... Agh.
Maddie was so upset that I threw it away (literally, she was crying, "Please Mama! I love that blue!") I had to act fast. After cleaning up (which was no small feat; Maddie had to be bathed, I had to shower, Swifter and silently curse the Do-a-Dot company), we made an octopus.
Technically, this was for our day about God creating animals, but we were talking about water and the octopus does live in the water... So clearly, it fit.
She glued the Fruit Loops on the legs (and helped me with the glue dots).
All in all, it's a great start to our morning and I'm really, really enjoying it!

8 comments:

Madonna said...

I love DLTK's website! We are studying creation, too. Although, I am spacing it out a little bit more. Using the oreo was a creative idea.

I recently found makinglearningfun.com and it looks great, as well. I got some farm activities off of it.

Our Little Family said...

I love Makinglearningfun!! There are SO many great things on there. We recently got a wireless (or something) printer, and I go CRAZY, sitting here and printing. Ha!

Yeah, we're going to do creation, one a day and then slow down and do the story of Noah. I'm excited for that!

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

DLTK and Making Learning Fun are two of my favorites too! I love the activities you did and how much it looks like she is really enjoying the story of creation. I'm sorry the do-a-dot painter blew up on you! Every time we use them now I'm going to be a little nervous, lol! Great post (as always!)

~Mrs. Hughes said...

This is so cool!

And my blue dot marker exploded too! The same brand!

aSchrader said...

Our dot marker thing did the SAME thing (reason to why I never let Callie use it anymore) haha

We should all write a letter, lol

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Uh-oh, I was pining for Do-a-Dot markers, but maybe I should reconsider. It looks like Maddie enjoyed your new routine with so many interesting projects. I agree with everyone else - MakingLearningFun and DLTK are my two top favorites as well.

Jenny said...

She is so cute, i love what you are doing with her daily.

Amanda said...

Thanks so much for the new websites. I have not seen these before. Love the post! I love reading your post because it really sounds like you are sitting right there telling me the story. So cute!