Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Just Believe

This isn't as much about Beth Moore last night as it is about just believing God.

Through a series of unfortunate events late last year, Mike lost his job.  The teaching job that he'd held for nine years.  The teaching job that primarily supported our family, kept us insured, and kept us feeling secure.

There's so much to the story, but the bottom line is that we found ourselves in a new position: unemployed.

And of course, it was hard to keep the panic from creeping in.  We have a mortgage, bills, and two small children.  We weren't in a good place.

But, the most amazing thing happened, and while I can't speak for Mike, I can speak for what I did.  I chose, and continue to choose, to believe God.

This story doesn't have an ending with a neatly wrapped-up solution.  We're still living it.

But, I remember the day that ultimately, I chose to just hand this all over to God and just believe.  I believe He has a good plan for our family and I will walk in that faith.  I was sitting alone in my car that day, in our driveway, and I just sobbed.  I kinda threw a little pity party for myself.  I thought that surely, we'd been through enough as a couple and as a family.  This felt a little bit like salt in a wound that tends to crack open when I'm sad.

But I chose then (I think I said it out loud) that I will just have faith.  Faith in His timing, faith in His plan, and just faith in Him.

I'm not saying that that makes everything perfect but my goodness, it makes things easier.  I'm so thankful for that.

And let me tell you, the outpouring of love we've received from family and friends has been humbling, to say the least.  Seriously, the blessings that have been showered upon us continue to take my breath away.

A month or so ago, when I was again feeling a little whiny, I knew I needed to change my perspective.  I grabbed some chalk (or a chalk pen if we're being specific; those things are so cool!) and wrote down the first blessing that came to my mind: More time with family.

It's so true.  We've drawn closer to one another, be it through picnic dinners on the floor to baking together to going on bike rides.

And almost everyday, I add something new.  The board is getting full.  Even Maddie is in on the action now, telling me things or people that blessed her during her day.  The blessings are abundant and wonderful and really, I can't think of a time I've been happier.

So what's the point?  Have faith.  I don't know how this whole thing will turn out but I have absolute, unwavering faith that we are safe, right where we are.

How cool that throughout all this, I'm doing a Bible study called Believing God.  :)

4 comments:

Beth at southernfriedliving.blogspot.com said...

Love it!

~Mrs. Hughes said...

Thank you for sharing this Jill. :)
Praying for
You and the fam.

Kristin Sellars said...

God is so good isn't he?! It's usually during the hardest of times that I feel the most loved by Him. I think it's just His grace to remind me in such tangible ways that I am His and that He is walking through it with me.

It was so great meeting you at the Jana concert too! Thanks for introducing yourself! I was totally blessed to know that people actually read me blog (sometimes I wonder :) ). I loved reading about your family too!

Sophie's Momma said...

Love ya Jill. I don't know what to say other than I'm sorry you're going through this and I'm here for you if you want to talk or just come hang out..