Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Beth Moore: Believing God

A couple years ago, I started participating in a Bible study group, and it's always a Beth Moore study.  She is an amazing woman of God and I can not tell you how much I've learned and grown throughout each and every session and unit.  As soon as a study is about to end (they're usually a couple months long, with us meeting once a week), I get a little antsy, wondering how soon we can get the next one started.

If you've never done a Beth Moore study, there are several components to it.  We watch a DVD, we break into small groups (there's always quite a few women at ours so it's nice to have smaller prayer groups), and we also have homework.

I get so much out of all the parts, but I have to say that I take a crazy amount of notes during the DVD.  I get going so fast that sometimes I have to stop myself before I write down a note of when she coughs.  :)

Anyway, this newest study that we just started is called Believing God and I'm super excited about it.  I think it's really going to speak to where I'm at right now and help me navigate the trials that Mike and I are going through.

I don't know if I'll do it after every session, but I thought it might be neat to share a few of the key points of it, both for myself and maybe for someone else who needs a little encouragement.  Plus, I'm probably more likely to look back on the blog, rather than go digging through my workbooks when I need a reminder.  So, here were this week's:

*Beth Moore talked about how God wants to bless us and pour His spirit into us.  He wants us to be blessed with peace and meaning and healing.  Sometimes the blessings we want aren't the blessings He gives us but... His are always better.

*The number one hinderance we face is unbelief.  It will paralyze us.

*She discussed how the promised land is where theology merges with reality.  The word of God was written for us and He wants us to abide in Him (John 15).

*There were five statements of faith that I just loved and want to commit to memory:
1. God is who He says He is.
2. God can do what He says He can do.
3. I am who God says I am.
4. I can do all things through Christ.
5. God's word is alive and active in me.

Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the Lord will do amazing things among you.
Joshua 3:5

2 comments:

Meredith Stokke, MC, LPC, NCC said...

Love this Jill :)

~Mrs. Hughes said...

awesome words/study. thank you for posting!