Friday, May 20, 2011

Grayson is HERE!

Grayson William is here!

Between a tough recovery, nursing, entertaining a toddler and learning my limits (no, I really can not tackle a new organizational project at 3 days post partum; haha), I've had little time to blog.

But, Mike and Grayson are sleeping and Maddie is (sorta) playing happily (and by that I mean that she is dismantling the bouncy seat and bassinet to better suit her doll's needs). So... I can blog for a second!

I have a thousand pictures but these are just some from my phone. I promise to do more soon. Like, when I'm agile enough to easily get up off the couch and find the camera card. Ha!

I'll try to do a brief birth story, too.

On Monday morning at 5:00am, we checked into the hospital. It was a scheduled induction, but we'd later find out that I was already in early labor.

My water broke around 7:00am and by noon, I was ready to push.
Now, up until this point, the labor had been so much easier than Maddie's. The epidural, even though it needed several adjustments (ouch!) and dosage updates, worked beautifully. However, the delivery itself was terrifying.

After an hour and a half of pushing, the doctor used the vacuum to get our little man out. His shoulder was stuck and he was born with mild shoulder distocia. The doctor pulled out a limp, blue little boy and there was quite a bit of panic.

We got to briefly see him before he was whisked away for observation.
He spent the afternoon under observation but was finally able to room with me (thanks to an amazing husband that just kept insisting he join me). We were surrounded with such amazing support, including my sweet friend Jenny... but they deserve a post of their own!
The most amazing man holding the largest newborn. Ready for his stats?!
Weight: 10 lbs. 8.6 ounces
Length: 22 inches
Whoa!

Maddie and Grayson meet for the first time.
Totally safe to say that it was love at first sight.

She also deserves a post of her own, but she's been amazing. She adores him and continues to say that the day he was born was the best day of her life.

And so, we are home. We are learning how to be a family of four, I'm learning to release (a little) control and let the house just be and we're loving every single minute.

Grayson is absolutely and entirely a blessing. I love him beyond words could ever describe and I can't help but thank God every single moment of our days and nights. He is such a direct answer to so many prayers.

Welcome to the world, sweet, sweet Grayson.

24 comments:

Hope said...

Congratulations on your BIG, beautiful baby boy!

Miller Moments said...

Congratulations!!! He's darling!

Unknown said...

YAHOO!!!!! Congratulations on birthing a 3-6 month old- he's a big boy!

I am glad to see you are all getting into a new family groove- welcome to the wonderful world of multi-children parenting! :0)

Mama Bub said...

I'm so happy for you and your family!

Unknown said...

CONGRATS! I am so happy everyone is healthy!
I am 30 weeks today, and sooo excited to meet my little girl, and sooo excited to see my toddler hold his little sister!

Were you full term? I might be getting induced at 39 weeks (If I am favorable) for a few reasons, so I'd love to hear your story on that!

all the very best!
Sylvia

Michelle said...

Congratulations...I knew something was going on when you hadn't posted for a few days! Juliette had shoulder distocia too, the got stuck and started to turn blue, my husband said it was the most terrifying thing to watch. But, she is perfectly fine now. Enjoy every second with you new little blessing.

ashamom said...

Yes!!! Congrats Jill and Mike and Maddie!!!
Welcome to the world Grayson!

Almost 11 pounds? No wonder the pushing was hard and so much for newborn clothes, huh?

Counting Coconuts said...

Hooray, hooray, hooray!!! Congratulations and happy blessing to all of you!

Swimming-duck said...

Congratulations! I got all teary-eyed reading your post and looking at the pics - all so sweet!

~Mrs. Hughes said...

Yay! Love the stats, incredible lady! you are my hero!!!! not joking one bit.

Debbie said...

Congratulations! So happy for you!

Jen said...

I've been anxiously awaiting a new post on Grayson's birth story. How terrifying! That's awesome that Mike got him back to you sooner than planned. I HATE how they are so quick to take babies away for long periods of observation. Babies need their mommies/bonding ASAP!

Liam was taken from me because he swallowed meconium when he was born. He was okay but they took him away for "observation" and were going to keep him away for HOURS. They said they were observing him but my father saw him in a crib in the nursery being ignored even though he was the only baby in the nursery at the time. No one was holding or touching him and they wouldn't let Colin stay with him. My father became very angry demanding someone from our family be allowed to go in there and hold him. The nurses were threatening to call security on him. Finally, my father-in-law (a theater professor and psychologist) told the nurses in a VERY polite and professional manner that he was a doctor and that it was best for a baby to be with his mother right after birth. As soon as they heard the word "doctor" they acted SUPER sweet and accommodating and brought Liam back to me right away! I cried for months over the whole ordeal. I know that's a bit dramatic but I just couldn't bear thinking of him being all alone in that nursery wondering what the heck was going on.

So glad everything turned out okay and that you are home as one happy family of 4! Hope you are healing okay and not too sore.

xoxo

Ashley said...

congratulations on a BIG bundle of joy! :)

Jess said...

Congrats Jill, Mike, and Maddie! He is so beautiful!!! Welcome Grayson!

Lana said...

Hi. I don't know you personally, but I feel like I do....I follow your blog and love reading about your family and projects. We are so much alike. Anyway, I've been anxiously awaiting news on the blog as if you were an old high school friend or something. So, Congrats! I am so happy for you and Mike and Maddie and thankful that everything turned out okay. And DO try to rest a bit and not try to rush back into things. :) We will have our second baby, too, in a few weeks, and I'm worried that I won't be able to do that all too well myself! :)

Elise said...

Congratulations on your precious, new baby boy. I am thrilled for all of your family.

I was blown away with how big Grayson was - Wonder Mom's comment is so true.

Emily said...

Congrats mama! He is incredibly cute, and that picture of Maddie holding him makes me tear up. The love she has for him will rock your world. <3

TessBenson said...

What a cutie! Im so glad he is here and healthy! You deserve so much! Congrats friend!

Amanda said...

Congratulations! He is just precious! Enjoy your new family of 4!

The Activity Mom said...

Hooray! Congratulations to all of you! I can't believe how big he is! You are my hero! Love his hair too. He is adorable!

Melissa said...

Congratulations on your sweet bundle of joy and welcome to the 10 pounder club! I gave birth to a 10 lb 12.8 oz boy in October. I love the looks of shock and dismay when I tell them how big he was at birth. ;-)

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, how scary! My heart jumped when you said how he came out. Thank God he's okay. So happy for you all!

Rebecca said...

Congrats!!! So happy he is here and healthy! And he was double what my little girl was, LOL!

Monica said...

Congratulations!! What a happy ending... actually, it's more like a happy beginning. :)