Saturday, June 26, 2010

Newer Practical Life Learning

Learning skills that are important in everyday life has always been something that I've so enjoyed exploring with Maddie.
As soon as she was old enough, I modified the house to more appropriately, and more safely, meet her needs.

Dishtowels got moved to a low drawer in the kitchen and she uses them to independently clean up her own spills.

A water bottle is kept in a kitchen cupboard so that she can clean her trays or table.

A snack basket was moved to a lower shelf so that she can independently choose her own raisins, granola bars or fruit snacks.

All these things (I hope!) give her a sense of freedom but also, that she's an important, contributing member of this family.
Here are some of her latest faves, that I'd share for posterity and also to get ideas of other things your preschoolers like to do.
A few weeks ago, she asked if she could help me unload the dishwasher. Never one to turn down help, I moved a dining room chair over and gave her the utensil basket (and no, there were no sharp knives!).
What a great sorting activity this was for her, and she enjoyed the variety.
Daddy is on quite the banana bread kick lately and Maddie is on quite the, "I can measure that, mix that and make that" kick.
It works out really well. :)
And then yesterday, she wanted to help make breakfast (she's wearing an old shirt that used to be Megan's, hence the reason she adores it and must always sleep in it). She's helped me use the grater before, but never totally on her own. We've talked about how to hold it, where the sharper parts were and she started grating. I stood and watched (well, and took a picture!) but she got through quite a block of cheese before I stopped her (the cheese was getting small and I didn't want any knuckles being grated!).

Anyway, what practical life activities do your little ones enjoy? I would love to hear!

7 comments:

sbswtp said...

What a great post! Ryleigh also loves doing dishes- from the dishwasher she puts away her dishes, the silverware, and any baking ones (like measuring cups, spoons)...all of these go in bottom drawers or cabinets that she can reach. She also likes to help bake/cook, fold and put away laundry and fill her own cup with water (from the watercooler)

Lori said...

Malia loves to peel vegetables - especially carrots. I showed her once, and now she MUST do it. Actually she wants to help with anything I'm cooking, but peeling is her favorite.

~Mrs. Hughes said...

Evan and I just made banana bread this morning. I lobe the picture of her grating...she looks so grown up!

klalaw said...

We started the snack basket idea a few weeks ago, and Alex loves it! I keep a mix of different healthy treats in there, and he loves going to the pantry to pick one out!

The girl who painted trees said...

Bear's been grating cheese,zucchini and carrots for me, but I also always take over when the pieces are too short. Our little girls are growing up!

The Activity Mom said...

B likes to transfer clothes out of the wash machine to they dryer and he tries to help me fold them. Watering plants is a fun favorite and he helps with dishes sometimes.

I'm can't wait to try the water bottle and towels at his level to clean up his own messes. I think he would love that. great post. thanks for the ideas.

Rebecca said...

I love that you do all that with her! She must be learning SO much!