I've recently discovered something about myself.
Maybe it's the same with some of you.
When I'm very truly sad (the big kind of sad), I have the insatiable urge to...
move furniture.
After our miscarriage in October, I moved a lot of furniture. In fact, I probably would've moved the foundation, had I had a better place to put it.
I know there's a million reasons as to why I do this and why it makes me feel better, but just knowing that it's my coping mechanism is comforting. It busies my hands when I feel like doing nothing but crying.
And so, it was no surprise that after this most recent miscarriage, the furniture-movin' itch got in me.
I tried moving our sectional around.
It didn't work.
I hate having a sectional.
So, I moved on...
to Maddie's room.
Maddie has a frightening amount of stuff.
And, on Saturday morning, I decided to fix it.
Thank goodness she was at Grandma's for the morning. :)
And no, her room doesn't usually look this bad. I'd already started in before remembering to take a picture.

See the scary avalanche of stuffed animals?!
Do all children have heaps and heaps of these fluffy friends?
Do your children play with them?
I feel like Maddie only really plays with her dolls, and rarely her stuffed animals.
And so, they got pared down.
Two trash bag-sized amounts of stuffed animals reported for storage duty (until I can get up the guts to donate them), while her faves stayed in the two alloted baskets.
I know you can't see it, but that trunk contains all her dress-up clothes.
That got cleaned out, too (because for some reason, a dozen stuffed animals had found their way in there, too).
I also dragged in Mike's old nightstand from the garage, cleaned it up and placed it next to her bed. She was needing a place to stuff with junk fill with her tiny treasures, and now she has it.
I'm also super excited to get started on a summer project (my sweet, sweet Michael has promised to help... Right?! I know you're reading this!) of something that will be going in Maddie's room.
You'll have to wait and see.
But, it's going to be so cool.
Anyway, I'm loving Maddie's totally organized room (did I mention that I also got rid of a ton of her too-small-now clothes?!).
And as always, the furniture moving and deep cleaning felt really, really good.
Anyone care to hire me?! Ha!
3 comments:
Looks great! I, too, have irresistable urges to rearrange furniture, but unlike you, I haven't been able to figure out the emotional reasoning behind them. I recently re-did Alex's room . . . twice . . . and now I'm afraid he's going to think it's a weekly occurrence!
Hope your new projects are brightening your days a bit!
Oh girl, it ALWAYS feels good to re-organize an old space to make it "new to you" again! My husband and I just spent yesterday afternoon (at least 3-4 hours) cleaning, sorting, trashing, and rearranging our kiddos' play porch.
I think I just want to sleep in there now...
Can't wait to see your newest addition to Maddie's room!
I do the same thing! I wrote a post about it awhile back, but for me.....it is stress reliever. Something that I can control. I am so sorry for the loss of your baby. We went through a miscarriage 2 Octobers ago. We lost twins and it was the worst things I've ever been through. But find comfort in knowing that God knows what He's doing...I now have a 9 month-old that we wouldn't have had I not suffered through that loss. You are in my prayers!
Nicki
daveandnickiskids.blogspot.com
Post a Comment