Thursday, April 22, 2010

Joural Writing with a 2 Year Old

*Before I forget, I wanted to provide some places where you can hunt down miniatures, like we use in our alphabet drawers. Honestly, my mom and I have been collecting them for months, but we've found some good ones at Michaels, fabric stores and even the Dollar Tree. Another great source, believe it or not, is your own junk drawer. Lost game pieces (thank you Monopoly for providing our teeny tiny house), party bag loot (a jack and some marbles) and just the general goodies of life (a penny, a candle, ect) were all waiting to be shelved in our drawers.
I seriously have so many extras. I could start an Etsy store with the extra miniatures I have! Maybe I should start making them as birthday gifts! Ha!
Anyway, good luck on your search!!

Today, I wanted to share something that is really working in our house and I think all three of us are loving it.
Last time I was at the Dollar Tree (which is, by the way, too often; last time, the checker actually said, "Her name's Maddie, right?") I picked up this notebook. I'd planned on using it with a tutoring student until a light went off in my head.
I'd use it for Maddie!
Every evening, we sit around our beautiful new dining room table and eat dinner (not a big thing, but when you haven't had a dining room table for a year, it's a big deal!).
Near the very end of the meal (when Maddie's usually done and starting to get squirrely), we ask her if she wants to write in her journal.
I grab it and she dictates a sentence.
Sometimes she tells us what she did that day...
And other times, she just tells us what's on her mind.

After I write it, we read it together a few times and then we send her off to illustrate that page (which she does in the family room, where her table and art supplies are).

We've been doing this a few weeks now and it is just a great way to close the day (she goes to bed right afterward!). Mike and I love to see what she'll say, she loves to "read" it to me the next day and it gives Mike and me a few minutes together at dinner while she's off drawing!

8 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What a great idea! I tried it with Anna, but the problem is that she wants then to tell me the long story, and she is not too interested in illustrating it :)

Susan-Chasing Marcus said...

The journal idea is inspired! We have the same problem, Sophie finishes dinner before we do, and she gets "squirrely".

Also, I am having a harder time finding miniatures then I thought I would. Would you be willing to trade?

The Activity Mom said...

I'm going to try this with B. The other day when we wrote a letter to Grandma I asked him what he wanted to say and all he could think of was "I love you" and then started saying different words that he knew how to spell. =) Can you imagine being Grandma and getting that "I love you! stop, rat, cat, I love you!". =)
Anyway, thanks for sharing a look inside. Can't wait to try!

Jess said...

What a clever idea Jill! I LOVE THIS!

Unknown said...

That is such a great idea! She will look back at that notebook and really appreciate it!

Unknown said...

I have to say that I love your blog, it's inspiring. This is a brilliant idea, and I look forward to using it with my little ones.

Fiona said...

wow what I great idea. I bought a similar journal book and was wondering what to do with it but will be trying this idea :-)

Izzie, Mac & Me said...

Great idea! I'm on the way to the DT to get a notebook! Thank you so much for sharing!