Maddie is really into playing pretend and since she also loves fairies, I thought she'd like a fairy curtain (for lack of a better name) in her bedroom. I looked at buying one (Ikea has some), but I thought I could do it for even cheaper (and I did!).
I'm sure there are online tutorials for these kinds of things, but I just learned as I went and made my own directions (and they actually worked! Amazing!).
But, the best part was that the whole project cost about $10! I'll do a price breakdown at the end.
We have a little hole-in-the-wall fabric/ribbon store near us and it is so ridiculously cheap. I love going there.
I got the straw wreath, the bolt of organza (not pictured here) and the butterflies there.
First, I used some wide satin ribbon (which I already had from my tutu-making days) to cover the wreath.
I used dots of hot glue, as I wrapped, to make sure that the ribbon would stay in place.
Then, I cut long strips from the organza. I measured how long I wanted them, which for us, was (I think) 83 inches.
Now, the next part has no pictures, but I took the strips and bunched and pinned (love my straight pins with pretty color heads!) them all around the wreath. The straw wreath was super easy to pin into and feels nice and sturdy.
I bought three bunches of silk flowers (Maddie picked the pinks and I threw yellow in for variety). For each flower, I pulled all the plastic parts out, leaving it nice and easy to glue on.
Oh, and I'm sure you're wondering where I got those suh-weeet Spongebob pajama pants from, right?! Ha! I'm gonna blame my mom for buying them for Mike! I like them because they're super soft!
I glued the flowers around the wreath, securing each one with a pin.
It might be cute to also add a jewel (which I have from hairbow making...) in the center of the flower, too.
Maddie asked that there be butterflies, so I glued some on the organza.

I wrapped three pieces of ribbon around the top and had Mike hang them on a small cup hook he drilled into the ceiling (he's the best; totally rolls with all these projects).
Pretty, huh?!
She got out of the bath and ran to her room to see the finished product (she's been anxiously waiting for it to be done!).
Loved it!

For now, we put her beanbag and small rug inside. Who knows what else will end up in there!
This was such a quick, fun and easy project.
Oh, and cheap, too!
Here's the breakdown:
Wreath: $1
Flowers: $3 for three bunches
Whole bolt of organza: $4 (I finished the project and still have half a bolt left, too!)
Ribbon: Free, since I already had it
Butterflies: Each one was $0.40 and I used 6
Grand Total: $10.40
(So I fibbed when I said it was under $10; close enough!)
I can't wait to see how Maddie uses it in her make-believe play (she said she's getting ready for a wedding underneath it right now! Ha!).
Plus, it looks super pretty hanging in her room!
I'm trying something new and linking up HERE!
6 comments:
AWESOME!!!! I'm getting the stuff and making Gidget one!!! thanks!!!
That is so great! What an amazing outcome for such little money and work! Beautiful! I cant wait for my little girl to get bigger!
So cute! I bet she loves it!
Sooo beautiful! Perfect for a little princess. :)
Blessings!
-Sarah
What a great idea. Thank you so much for sharing it! My parents have adopted ten children and the youngest girl they have would love something like this for her birthday which is coming up in May! Thank you again.
Super cute and great use of materials!! : ) Good job mama.
Post a Comment