Thursday, January 21, 2010

stART: Noah's Ark

This was totally not what I had in mind for stART this week, but it actually turned out to be one of Maddie's favorite projects we did this week (way better than what I'd originally planned for and will post about in Tot School!).
We're experiencing some crazy storms here, which is awesomely appropriate because our theme this week is all about rain. Anyway, the story we read (from her Toddler Girl Bible) was Noah's Ark, a familiar and favorite one of Maddie's. We'd always focused on the storm and the animals and Noah's faith, but for this, we talked more about the rainbow that appeared at the end of the storm.
She's been really into watercolor painting so after we read the story, she wanted to, "paint the rainbow." I gave her piece after piece of cardstock (which holds her glops of paint better than regular printer paper) as she painted the rainbows.
Clearly, she worked hard on this, huh?!
When the pieces dried, I took each one and cut an arc, each one fitting inside the next. I used up all of her artwork to do this (and she was okay with me cutting it, since I told her we were making a puzzle).
Then, I gave her the arcs and explained that we were going to make a rainbow. She was thrilled because it was her art we were using.
She had to find the biggest piece, glue it and place it on the sky (or, scrapbooking paper).
She kept doing it, piece after piece, constantly stopping to see if it'd fit or if she'd need another piece.
When she finished, she glued on some clouds that I'd cut out.
She is so proud of this rainbow and will tell you that she painted it and put it together!
To see what others are up to this week with stART, visit Michelle's blog!

11 comments:

April said...

Very pretty rainbow! Don't all little girls love them?

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness this is SO cute!! I love how the watercolors look I think this is my favorite Noah's ark project ever. We will definitely be trying this one :0)

Thank you so much for linking up to stART this week, I always enjoy seeing the fun activities that you do with Maddie!

Debbie said...

Her rainbow turned out just beautiful! She has good reason to be so proud of it. What a precious memory!

sbswtp said...

What a fantastic project!!! I love it and it came out great :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is a great project - multistep, personal and so well executed. Way to go, Maddie!

Jo Shabo said...

Love that rainbow! So cute! My little girl is loving watercolors at the moment too- and I can't argue-- not to messy for cleanup! LOL

Unknown said...

What a cute idea! I love it! I will be using this idea in the future for sure!

Unknown said...

Ya know, it's so funny how kiddos ACTUALLY have minds of their own. Many a time have I planned something and had to go a totally different direction because of my kiddos *ahem* "preferences" (really, their sheer stubbornness!).

AND, amazingly enough, they often prove ME wrong by learning with something done "on the fly."

Love the rainbow and honesty that comes with it!

Julie said...

I love the way you did this! My daughter couldn't make a rainbow on her own, but this is a fantastic way for her to do it. Thanks for the idea!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Great idea to assemble different watercolor pictures together. A perfect rainbow!

Elise said...

What a fabulous idea. My daughter loves rainbows and I think she would also get such a kick out of doing this activity.

Maddie certainly created a gorgeous rainbow, this is such a beautiful piece of artwork.