Thursday, January 7, 2010

Create A Winter Chalet!

Maddie has always loved playing with her little figures but when she got several new sets for Christmas, the interest exploded. The princesses have been enjoying their time in Rainbowland, but interest has been waning a little bit. When I saw Melissa post this gift idea on her blog, I knew it was something we had to do.
On a recent trip to Michaels, we picked up a dollhouse (which is, actually, a CD tower). I had a 40% coupon, but I think the original price was still only $5.99.
I laid out some acrylic paints, glitter and jewels.
Oh, did I forget to mention that we wanted to create a chalet, complete with snow? Yes, we're knee-deep in a unit on snow, and thought our princesses would like to warm up on chilly days.
Set your little artist straight to work!
What actually happened was Maddie woke up in the morning, saying, "Let's paint! Let's paint the chalet!" When she'd gone to bed the night before, I told her that we'd be doing it and she definitely remembered!
Okaaaaaay... Fast forward through one tantrum ("No, we cannot glue raisins inside the chalet, even though you like them and I'm sure the princesses would, too.") and one busy day...
So, once your little one has gone to sleep, finish off the details with snowflake stickers and jewels...
I bought this product at an after-Christmas sale and was worried that it might dry out before we can use it next Christmas (and gosh, I can't find a link for it; It's like thick paint but when it hardens, it's really textured). This was the perfect project for it and actually looks really cool. I also sprinkled some ultra-fine glitter on top, too.
Maddie hasn't seen the finished product yet but I think she's going to be thrilled (or mad that I finished it without her; I hope not!)! I'm so excited for her to wake up tomorrow and play!

13 comments:

The Activity Mom said...

Perfect! Great idea!

Anonymous said...

It came out so well!

MamaGames - Alexa C. said...

I saw this when Melissa posted it at Chasing Cheerios, and I thought it was a good idea... but it slippd to the back of my mind. Thanks for posting ~your~ pictures of the project! I will make sure this idea goes on my Michael's list for the weekend & we'll hope we can find one too!

The Pascua Family said...

What a great idea, Mia would love that!! I may have to pull out my coupon too :) It turned out beautiful!

Unknown said...

Hee! Hee! I do that all the time- finish off the kiddos projects, especially when they were the age of your daughter!

I think she will LOVE your special touches- good job!

Sheena said...

I love the idea of painting a dollhouse. I also love the Rainbowland idea. I'll have to give these a try.

Unknown said...

sooo cute! I cant wait until my little one grows up!

Jess said...

WOW! What an awesome activity!! LOVE IT!!! So creative and Maddie did a great job with it!! Hope she enjoys it!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

She did a great job! I LOVE IT!!!

when it warms up we are so going to get some for my gidget to make!

I think we will skip the snow we have the real stuff 26 inches right now and if i never see snow again till next dec i'll be a happy camper :)

Debbie said...

This turned out so adorable!

Thank you for your encouraging support about my post. Yes, the change in our little one's schedules can lead to changes for us mommies.

If you don't mind would you email me your email address. Sometimes I like to respond in more depth to a comment, like this one. My email is ingolddebs@yahoo.com

Michelle said...

That is such a great project! Emily is the same with remembering the things we talk about doing at night. She jumps out of bed ready to do the activity!

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

Beautiful chalet! I love all the little details. I can't believe you got that for such a great deal! I need to head out and do some shopping!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I just love it - I am going to check out if our Michael's has something like this, since I have 50% coupon from them too!