Thursday, December 31, 2009

{To Be Held}

Those of you that know me (or that read this blog, so basically... everyone) is aware of how ready I am, and have been, to wrap this year up. I feel like I've gotten through these last few weeks by hitting my chin to my chest and just forging ahead, praying for a bright 2010 (by the way, there's a debate: Do you, or will you, say "Two thousand ten" or "Twenty ten"? Just wondering).

Anyway, it's been a rough year. It's been rough for us over here, but I know that it's also been rough for a lot of our friends and family members, too (maybe for some of the same reasons, maybe for different reasons). I can't totally remember where I heard this song, but I heard it recently and it immediately touched me. I'm hoping that maybe it'll speak to you, too. Do you ever hear a song, one where you might not even catch all the lyrics the first time, but something about it just speaks to you? For me, this was one of those songs.

The song is by Natalie Grant and is called "Held." It's on i-Tunes and it's definitely worth listening to (Okay, I've got it playing here on the blog but I realize it's terrible quality; I'm sure Mike will hear it and fiddle with it until it sounds better! Ha!). Anyway, I've listened to it over and over again now.

It's a song about being held, even when the world seems to be crashing around you, and how He is always holding you (but now wait, even if you're not religious, don't let me lose you because the message is one of great passion and hope). After poking around the internet for a while, I came to find out that it was actually written by Natalie Grant's neighbor, after having lost her infant son in his sleep. It's about the promise we live by and how it's often that promise that carries us through the storms.

I guess it just hits me on so many levels, but the chorus is what instantly touched me:

This is what it means to be held
How it feels, when the sacred is torn from your life
And you survive.
This is what it means to be loved and to know
That the promise was that when everything fell
We'd be held.

I do feel like many of life's sacred things were torn from life this year. Sacred vows teetered uneasily, so dangerously prepared to break. A strong, sweet heartbeat, so loved and adored, suddenly stopped beating, without any notice. At many points throughout the year, I felt like things were just... falling.

And yet, we survived. I survived.

I wrote a few posts back about my journey of learning that things don't always go the way we want. But really, this song says it so much more eloquently (not surprising!). God's promise is not that we'll get everything we pray for. He doesn't promise that we'll live a life free of heartache and sorrow. There will be pain and there will be struggles. The sacred could be torn from your life.

But what He does promise is that He'll hold us through those times. When I look back on my year, the most overwhelming feeling I have (and I know I wrote about it) was that I was never alone.

I was held.

Again and again, time after time, I was held. Through each and every situation that broke my heart, I was held. But it was through those times of sheer grief and brokenness that I truly felt held and I truly felt safe.

And so here's what I pray and hope for, for you and me and friends and family. I pray that no matter what this new year brings (or any new year, for that matter), that we're held. Good things will happen to good people and bad things will happen to good people. I pray, of course, that this new year is filled with good things. I am utterly brought to my knees when I think of the good things that did come from this year and I hope that 2010 (however you want to say it) will bring even more.

I don't think I said any of this all that eloquently (I should hire a song-writer, huh? Just listen to the song from start to finish.) but here's what I mean: Happy, happy new year and may you be blessed with the feeling, and the knowledge, that you are always being held.
Bring it on 2010!

12 comments:

MamaLieder said...

Yay for being held. Your words are sooo perfect.

Jen and Bern said...

Such a perfect post. I love that song as well.. it fits so many areas in people's lives that are breaking apart. Praying for a special and blessed 2010 for your family. You are ALL held.

Debbie said...

It always seems that the blessings in our lives are greater, when we can look back and see that through all the bumps, mountains, and rough roads we faced and see that He was there holding us all the way!

You deserve a GREAT Twenty Ten!

Unknown said...

I think you DID put your thought eloquently! I am touched...

Happy NEW Year to YOU!!!!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It's a very heartfelt post. Happy New Year, and I hope that 2010 will be a much better year for you and your family.

The Pascua Family said...

Jill your post was beautiful! This is one of my favorite songs, so beautiful. Praying for (twothousandten!) and all the new blessings it will bring with it!
I'll call you for breakfast soon with the kids!

Heather said...

I love your attitude :).

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Jill We love you guys! 2010 will bring new Hopes and Dreams!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

I gave the Lemonade stand award on my art blog

Susan-Chasing Marcus said...

What a great post for the New Year. Even though you have already received it, I awarded you the Lemonade Stand Award on my blog. Wishing you all the best in 2010!

The girl who painted trees said...

Love that top pic of Maddie.
http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com

Elise said...

What a beauty full prayer and hope - to know that you are being held. I will be praying for this for you.

Thank you so much for your super sweet comments on my blog and passing on the award. I was so excited to see that you had thought of me. I love reading your comments on my blog and check in regulalrly on your inspirational blog (I love when i see that you have a new post up).

Praying that 2010 will be a peaceful, joyous year for you and yours and a year where you can take comfort in the knowledge that you are being held.